San Diego is one the most dog friendly places in the U.S. Our pups are some of the luckiest in the country when it comes to dog parks, year-round access to dog beaches, and dog-friendly hiking trails. Many of the hotels, shops and restaurants in San Diego are also pet friendly. We have some truly unique pet stores in the area that carry a range of healthy foods, organic treats, and safe toys. Whether you live in San Diego or are just visiting with your canine companion, the choices for dog fun are endless.
San Diego has several dog beaches making our pups some of the luckiest in the nation.
San Diego has many dog parks throughout the county where your pup can play off leash.
San Diego county has several parks and hiking trails that are dog-friendly.
Unique Pet Stores:
- Point Loma Pet Pantry specializes in a huge selection of raw food for your pet.
- Paw Country carries raw food and holistic pet supplies in La Mesa.
- Healthy Pet Pantry is in El Cajon and specializes in natural Foods, raw diets, supplements, holistic supplies, and specialty items.
- Howlistic, located in the historic neighborhood of Mission Hills, San Diego, stocks a wide variety of raw food and other all-natural pet foods. They sell a good assortment of unique pet toys and accessories that are all carefully sourced.
Dog Festivals and Charity Events:
San Diego Annual Doggie Street Festival
This annual county-wide pet celebration hosts free of charge, breed specific rescue groups and shelters with their adoptable dogs. Don’t miss the fun, entertainment, good eats, valuable pet information, products, services, special guests and much, much more!!! You might even find your new best furry friend.
La Jolla Pet Parade Festival
SNAP (Spay-Neuter Action Project) puts on an annual La Jolla Pet Parade & Festival. Join them for a tail-waggin good time as they celebrate their love of animals and raise needed funds to benefit SNAP – a non-profit organization responsible for reducing the number of unwanted puppies and kittens in San Diego County by tens of thousands!
Action K9 Sports provides an all around performance training facility for the owners of dogs competing in sheep herding, agility, flyball, schutzhund, earthdogs and tracking. Located in North County San Diego, it began as a premiere herding training facility and has expanded into many more activities and training disciplines for your dog.
The Beagle Brigade is an informal social group of beagles and their “parents” that meets once a month at the Poway Community Dog Park, always at 9 a.m. the first Saturday of each month!! All beagles, beagle mixes and their family members are welcome!
Recommended Veterinarians / Animal Hospitals:
- Governor Animal Clinic – (858) 453-6312
- Pacific Veterinary Services – (619) 295-9025
- Veterinary Specialty Hospital – (858) 875-7500
Animal Shelters / Rescues:
- It’s the Pits K-9 Rescue
- San Diego County Animal Services
- San Diego Humane Society & SPCA
- Helen Woodward Animal Shelter
- Lake Elsinore Animal Shelter
- Ramona Humane Society Hemet/San Jacinto
- Riverside County Department of Animal Services
- E-Collar Technologies, Inc. makes some of the top electronic dog training equipment.
- Dogtra is a top manufacturer of electronic dog training equipment.
- The International Association of Canine Professionals was established to develop and promote the highest standards of professional and business practice among canine professionals.